Ergatta is a fitness company that offers an interactive, gamified rowing machine and accompanying subscription service.
This is a relatively new company, having come into existence in 2018. While the company faces significant competition in the at-home fitness market, its unique product and engaging workout experiences position it for continued growth and success in the years ahead.
If you’re considering buying an Ergatta rower, part of your due diligence involves finding out about the company behind the machine. On this page, I’ve gathered together all the statistics and information I could find to do with Ergatta.
Breakdown of Ergatta information you can find on this page:
Tom Aulet and Billy Fowks are the co-founders of Ergatta, a fitness company that provides an immersive indoor rowing experience through a virtual platform.
Tom Aulet has a background in tech and business, having previously worked as the CEO of LendKey, a financial technology company that provides digital lending solutions. He also served as the Director of Operations for ZocDoc, a healthcare appointment booking platform. Aulet is a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Billy Fowks, on the other hand, is a former professional rower with over 15 years of experience in the sport. He has won multiple national and international rowing championships and has represented the United States in the World Rowing Championships. Fowks is also an experienced coach and has trained rowing teams at the high school and college levels.
The two co-founders met while rowing together in New York City and realized that there was a gap in the market for an engaging and interactive indoor rowing experience. They founded Ergatta in 2018 with the goal of creating a virtual platform that would provide users with a challenging and immersive rowing workout, complete with personalized training programs and competitive races.
Ergatta initially launched its virtual rowing platform in 2018, which allowed users to connect their own rowing machines to the platform and participate in virtual races and workouts. However, the co-founders soon realized that there was an opportunity to create their own rowing machine that was specifically designed for their platform and the unique workout experience they were trying to create.
Partnership with WaterRower
In October 2019, Ergatta announced a partnership with WaterRower, a well-known manufacturer of high-quality rowing machines. Under the partnership, WaterRower began offering an optional Ergatta kit for its machines, which included a tablet holder and pre-installed Ergatta software that could be used to connect to the Ergatta virtual platform.
The partnership with WaterRower was a significant milestone for Ergatta, as it allowed the company to expand its reach and offer its virtual platform to a wider audience of rowing enthusiasts who already owned WaterRower machines.
In September 2020, Ergatta and WaterRower took their partnership a step further by releasing a co-branded machine called the WaterRower by Ergatta. The machine featured the same high-quality wooden frame and water resistance system as the original WaterRower, but also included a tablet holder and pre-installed Ergatta software that provided access to the Ergatta virtual platform.
The release of the WaterRower by Ergatta machine was a significant step for both companies, as it combined WaterRower’s expertise in crafting high-quality rowing machines with Ergatta’s innovative virtual platform. The machine received positive reviews from users and critics alike and has since become a popular option for rowing enthusiasts who are looking for a more engaging and interactive indoor workout experience.
Funding & Revenue
Ergatta has raised a total of $34.7 million in funding to date. Here are some details about the company’s funding:
- Seed Funding: In December 2018, Ergatta raised $5 million in seed funding from investors including Greycroft, Mark Pincus, and Scott Dorsey, among others.
- Series A Funding: In June 2020, Ergatta raised $11 million in Series A funding, led by Advance Venture Partners, with participation from Greycroft and other investors.
- Series B Funding: In September 2021, Ergatta raised $30 million in Series B funding, led by Greycroft, with participation from Fifth Wall, Advance Venture Partners, Gaingels, and others.
The company has received positive coverage in the media and has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing fitness companies in the United States. According to a company press release in September 2021, Ergatta reported that its customer base had tripled since the beginning of the year, and that the company had experienced record sales during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ergatta’s subscription service is a key component of its business model and provides users with access to a range of personalized workout programs, leaderboards, and other gamified features.
Ergatta Key Stats & Figures
Here are some statistics about the company.
- Year Founded: Ergatta was founded in 2018.
- Products and Services: Ergatta’s flagship product is the Ergatta Rower, a high-end, interactive rowing machine that provides users with a range of immersive and engaging workout experiences. The company also offers a subscription service that includes access to a range of personalized workout programs, as well as leaderboards, challenges, and other gamified features.
- Revenue: Ergatta has not publicly disclosed its revenue figures.
- Investors: Ergatta has raised more than $30 million in venture capital funding to date, with investors including Greycroft, Fifth Wall, Advance Venture Partners, and others.
- Employee Count: Ergatta has a growing team of employees that work in a range of functions, including engineering, design, marketing, sales, and more. As of January 2022, Ergatta had around 60 employees.
- Customer Base: Ergatta has a growing and loyal customer base, which includes a mix of fitness enthusiasts, athletes, and everyday consumers. The company has received positive reviews for its innovative product and engaging workout experiences.
- Competition: Ergatta competes in the crowded at-home fitness market, which includes established players like Peloton, as well as newer upstart competitors like Tonal and Hydrow.
As of February 2023, Ergatta has primarily focused on the US market, but the company has started to expand internationally in recent years. Here are a few examples of how DErgatta has expanded internationally:
- Partnerships with International Distributors: Ergatta has partnered with international distributors to bring its products and services to customers in other countries. For example, in February 2021, the company announced a partnership with Best Fitness, a distributor based in the United Kingdom, to bring its virtual rowing platform to customers in the UK.
- Shipping to International Markets: Ergatta ships its rowing machines and other products to customers in other countries, including Canada, Australia, and Europe. The company’s website includes information on international shipping rates and delivery times.
- App Availability: Ergatta’s virtual rowing platform is available in the App Store and Google Play Store in several countries outside the US, including Canada, the UK, and Australia.
In terms of plans, Ergatta has not publicly disclosed specific details about its expansion plans. However, the company has expressed its commitment to continued growth and innovation.
In a press release announcing its $5 million seed funding round in March 2020, Ergatta stated that it planned to use the funding to expand its team, develop new features for its virtual platform, and explore new distribution channels.
Ergatta has also expressed interest in expanding its product offerings beyond rowing, potentially into other areas of fitness and wellness.
In an interview with Men’s Health in December 2021, co-founder Tom Aulet hinted at the company’s plans for future products, stating that “We’ve always had aspirations to become the leader in interactive fitness. Rowing is just the start.”
Gamified Content Overview
Ergatta has built its business model around providing engaging and immersive workout experiences that incorporate gamification principles. Here are some details about the gamified content that Ergatta offers:
- Personalized Workouts: Ergatta’s subscription service includes access to a range of personalized workout programs that are designed to provide a full-body workout and challenge users of all fitness levels. The workouts incorporate a range of metrics and performance data, such as stroke rate, distance, and power output, which are displayed on the machine’s high-resolution screen.
- Challenges and Leaderboards: Ergatta’s subscription service also includes a range of challenges and leaderboards that allow users to compete against other users and track their progress over time. The challenges range in difficulty and duration, and can be completed individually or as part of a team.
- Virtual Races and Adventures: Ergatta’s subscription service also includes a range of virtual races and adventures that allow users to row through different environments, such as cityscapes, rivers, and forests. These virtual experiences are designed to be immersive and engaging and can help users stay motivated and engaged with their workouts.
- Progress Tracking and Analytics: Ergatta’s subscription service includes detailed progress tracking and analytics, which allow users to track their performance over time and identify areas for improvement. The company’s software platform also includes personalized coaching and feedback, which can help users optimize their workouts and achieve their fitness goals.
- Ergatta does not offer instructor-led workouts. Instead, it is the only rower that provides customized workouts for each member based on their fitness level. As a result, there are no follow-along videos or live-streaming classes on the platform.
Ergatta releases 20 new workouts per month, ensuring that there are always fresh and unique training options.
Overall, Ergatta’s gamified content is designed to provide a fun, engaging, and immersive workout experience that can help users stay motivated and achieve their fitness goals.
The company’s innovative products and personalized workout programs have gained traction among fitness enthusiasts and everyday consumers, and are well-positioned for continued growth and success in the years ahead.
Ergatta Rowing Machine Overview
Ergatta’s rowing machine hardware is designed to provide users with a high-quality and immersive rowing experience. Here is an overview of the features and specifications of the Ergatta rowing machine:
- Design and Construction: The Ergatta rowing machine is made of high-quality materials, including sustainably sourced cherrywood timber. The machine is designed to be durable and long-lasting, with a sleek and modern design that is well-suited for use in home gyms and fitness studios. It is virtually the same machine as the WaterRower Oxbridge rowing machine.
- Resistance System: The Ergatta rowing machine uses a water resistance system, which simulates the feeling of rowing on water. The machine includes a water tank that can be adjusted to provide more or less resistance, depending on the user’s preferences and fitness level.
- Display and Metrics: The Ergatta rowing machine features a high-resolution display that shows real-time metrics and data, including distance, time, stroke rate, and other key performance indicators. The display is compatible with DErgatta’s virtual platform, allowing users to track their progress and compete against other users in virtual challenges and races.
- Comfort and Adjustability: The Ergatta rowing machine is designed for comfort and adjustability, with a contoured seat and adjustable footrests that can be customized to fit a wide range of body types and sizes. The machine also includes ergonomic handles that are designed to reduce strain on the hands and wrists.
- Size and Weight: The DErgatta rowing machine is 86 inches long, 22 inches wide, and 40 inches tall. It weighs approximately 100 pounds, making it relatively easy to move and store when not in use.
Ergatta Membership Overview
Ergatta membership costs $29 per month. A single membership supports unlimited users, so all of the family can use the rower. There is no membership contract, so you can cancel at any time.
That’s the limit of my research on the Ergatta company. In just a few short years, the company has carved out a key position in the home rower market, establishing itself as the top player in the gamified workout space.
Ergatta’s success and future prospects are tied to broader trends in the fitness industry, including the growing popularity of home fitness and the increasing demand for immersive and engaging workout experiences.
With its innovative approach to indoor rowing and its commitment to user engagement and satisfaction, Ergatta is well-positioned to capitalize on these trends and become a leading player in the rapidly evolving world of interactive fitness.